Toyota working on new car for emerging markets
Tokyo: Toyota Motor Corp is developing a new low-cost car to attack fast-growing markets such as China and Southeast Asia, targeting a 2012 launch and a price under 1 million yen ($11,520, or Rs 5.35 lakh), Japan`s Chunichi Shimbun newspaper reported.
The compact car will be based on its Vios and Vitz/Yaris subcompact models, and Toyota is aiming to slash production costs by 30-40 percent by procuring more parts locally, the paper said.
Toyota`s minivehicle unit, Daihatsu Motor Co, is also developing a small car for Southeast Asia, and may sell them under the Toyota brand, the Chunichi said.
With those two models and a new set of entry-level cars that Toyota has announced for India, Brazil and China, Toyota will have a three-layered approach to grab more sales in emerging markets, the paper said.
Toyota declined to confirm any part of the report.
Toyota is the world`s biggest automaker but has a relatively small presence in India, Brazil and other emerging markets, limiting its sales growth compared with well-represented brands such as Volkswagen and Hyundai Motor Co.
Toyota`s new entry-level car for India, called Etios, is due to hit the market at the end of this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!