Trade unions to oppose investment of PF funds in stock markets
New Delhi: Trade union representatives on Friday
said they will strongly oppose the proposal allowing EPFO to
park part of its fund in the capital market when the issue
comes up for final decision at key advisory body Finance and
Investment Committee next week.
"Investment in stock markets can be beneficial and at the
same time involves risk of heavy losses also. This is a
retirement fund. Who will compensate the subscribers for
losses?" Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC)
President G Sanjeeva Reddy said.
Besides Reddy, who is also a member of the Employees`
Provident Fund Organisation`s key advisory body FIC, other
trade union representatives too said that it is not a
"sensible" move to invest retirement funds in the stock
The Finance Ministry had in August 2008 proposed that
EPFO should invest up to 15 percent of its large corpus of Rs
2.57 lakh crore in the capital market for better returns.
The proposal, however, could not find favour with either
FIC or Central Board of Trustee (CBT), the apex decision-
making body of EPFO, which is headed by Labour Minister.
Later, the Finance Ministry mooted the idea of investing 3 to
5 percent of funds in stock index by arguing that it was less
The discussion on pattern of investment notified by the
Finance Ministry on August 14, 2008, is listed on agenda for
FIC meeting on October 8 where the proposal to invest 3-5 percent of EPFO funds in stock indices would be evaluated.
After evaluating the proposal, the FIC would make
necessary recommendations to the CBT for final decision. It is
a general practice that FIC recommendations are accepted by
The proposal, if approved, would result in Rs 13,000
crore flowing into the stock markets. The EPFO has not
invested in stock markets so far.
At a recent meeting of FIC on August 18, an EPFO official
favoured parking 3-5 percent of the funds in the stock market
through a detailed presentation.
The official had said that Index-based strategy for
investment in equities would be most suitable for EPFO`s
During the meeting of FIC, it was felt that alternative
avenues are a must to enhance or maintain overall returns to
subscribers as fixed-income products would, as in the
developed economies, lessen in future.
Investment in equities provide a good hedge against
inflation, unlike fixed income securities, the EPFO official
had advocated in the presentation. That means equity
investment is better than fixed income securities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'