TRAI seeks industry`s opinion on 11-digit mobile numbers
New Delhi: Telecom regulator TRAI on Wednesday
sought views from the industry on introduction of 11-digit
mobile numbers in view of existing 10-digit numbers getting
exhausted due to phenomenal growth in the sector.
The regulator has floated a consultation paper and
has asked the operators to give their opinions.
The 10-digit mobile numbers are expected to get exhausted
soon due to the phenomenal growth in mobile telephony in the
country with over 15 million users being added every month.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India is also looking
at possibilities of retaining 10 digit numbering scheme.
It has also sought industry`s views on migrating to 11
digit for fixed and mobile telephones.
Besides, it is also looking at pricing of the numbers as
a tool for encouraging efficient utilisation of numbering
"Major modifications in a numbering plan could mean
substantial changes in the network and costs for the service
"From the subscribers viewpoint as well, frequent changes
are inconvenient. It has therefore become necessary to elicit
views of the stakeholders on issues like allocation and
efficient utilisation of numbering resources," TRAI said in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey