TRAI seeks industry`s opinion on 11-digit mobile numbers
New Delhi: Telecom regulator TRAI on Wednesday
sought views from the industry on introduction of 11-digit
mobile numbers in view of existing 10-digit numbers getting
exhausted due to phenomenal growth in the sector.
The regulator has floated a consultation paper and
has asked the operators to give their opinions.
The 10-digit mobile numbers are expected to get exhausted
soon due to the phenomenal growth in mobile telephony in the
country with over 15 million users being added every month.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India is also looking
at possibilities of retaining 10 digit numbering scheme.
It has also sought industry`s views on migrating to 11
digit for fixed and mobile telephones.
Besides, it is also looking at pricing of the numbers as
a tool for encouraging efficient utilisation of numbering
"Major modifications in a numbering plan could mean
substantial changes in the network and costs for the service
"From the subscribers viewpoint as well, frequent changes
are inconvenient. It has therefore become necessary to elicit
views of the stakeholders on issues like allocation and
efficient utilisation of numbering resources," TRAI said in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi