TRAI seeks industry`s opinion on 11-digit mobile numbers
New Delhi: Telecom regulator TRAI on Wednesday
sought views from the industry on introduction of 11-digit
mobile numbers in view of existing 10-digit numbers getting
exhausted due to phenomenal growth in the sector.
The regulator has floated a consultation paper and
has asked the operators to give their opinions.
The 10-digit mobile numbers are expected to get exhausted
soon due to the phenomenal growth in mobile telephony in the
country with over 15 million users being added every month.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India is also looking
at possibilities of retaining 10 digit numbering scheme.
It has also sought industry`s views on migrating to 11
digit for fixed and mobile telephones.
Besides, it is also looking at pricing of the numbers as
a tool for encouraging efficient utilisation of numbering
"Major modifications in a numbering plan could mean
substantial changes in the network and costs for the service
"From the subscribers viewpoint as well, frequent changes
are inconvenient. It has therefore become necessary to elicit
views of the stakeholders on issues like allocation and
efficient utilisation of numbering resources," TRAI said in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!