Transfer freeze for Portsmouth as debt chaos continues
London: Portsmouth have been banned from registering any new players until further notice, the Premier League said on Wednesday, as the financial turmoil surrounding the south-coast club continues.
Portsmouth, bottom of the league after only one win and a draw in their first 10 games, were taken over earlier this month by Saudi Arabian businessman Ali al Faraj.
He bought 90 percent of the club`s shares from Sulaiman al Fahim who took over in August but struggled to refinance the club`s debt.
Last month payments to some of the first team squad were delayed and despite the sale of many leading players over the last 18 months, the club is still struggling with debt.
Local media reported that the freeze on signing new players would apply until debts to other clubs had been cleared, though the Premier League would confirm only that the ban was in place.
On Tuesday Portsmouth had their best result of the season when their depleted side beat a second-string Stoke City side 4-0 to reach the quarter-finals of the League Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’