Tribal group calls shutdown in 3 West Bengal districts
Kolkata: A tribal group spearheading a protest against police excesses in Lalgarh in West Bengal has called a 72-hour shutdown in three Maoist-affected districts from Sunday to protest the state government`s month-long operation against the rebels in the region.
People`s Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA) leader Lalmohan Tudu said: "Innocent people are being tortured every now and then in Lalgarh during the security forces` operations. People are fleeing their homes in fear of the security forces. Thus we`ve given a call for a 72-hour shutdown (July 19-21) in three districts."
The shutdown has been called in West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia districts.
Tudu charged that cadres of the state`s ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), backed by the police, were "torturing innocent villagers in the name of the anti-Maoist operation".
"The police and Central forces have occupied all the school buildings in the area. Many students who are studying in Class 9 and 10 cannot attend their classes and normal life has virtually come to a standstill in Lalgarh (in West Midnapore)."
"We definitely want development but not at the cost of the day-to-day life of common people. We think that normal life must go on along with the police operation in the area," Tudu said.
Lalgarh, about 180 km from Kolkata, has been on the boil since November last year when a landmine exploded on the route of the convoy of Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee and then Central ministers Ram Vilas Paswan and Jitin Prasada.
Tribals launched an agitation, complaining of police atrocities after the blast, and virtually cut off the area from the rest of the district.
Last month the state government launched an operation -- of the state police and Central forces -- in Lalgarh to flush out the Maoists who had declared the zone "liberated".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know