Trinamool Congress wins by-elections in West Bengal
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress has won the August 18 by-elections to both the Bowbazar and Sealdah assembly constituencies, results of which were declared Friday.
Shikha Mitra of Trinamool Congress won the Sealdah seat defeating CPI candidate Prabir De by a margin of 15,927 votes, EC sources said.
Swarno Kamal Saha of TC won the Bowbazar seat defeating Left Front supported Independent candidate Minati Gomes by 21,577 votes.
The two assembly seats fell vacant after Sealdah MLA Somen Mitra and Bowbazar MLA Sudip Bandopadhay left Congress to contest the Lok Sabha polls on Trinamool tickets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars