Trouble brewing between Hockey India, Indian Hockey Federation
New Delhi: The Indian Hockey Federation’s (IHF) much anticipated domestic hockey league seems to have run into rough weather with Hockey India (HI) warning its set of national players to stay away from the league.
An official from HI even went to the extent of terming the proposed tournament as ‘rebel league’ and made it clear that the players who do not follow their advice may not be considered for selection in the national team.
Although HI had till now maintained that the federation would support any venture that brings in money to the sport, the recent development has once again changed the scenario.
Talking to reporters, Hockey India secretary Narinder Batra said:
“A packed 2011 calendar that includes preparations for the all-important Olympic qualifiers in February 2012 means there will be too many important series. I don’t see how national team players can be part of the new league. And if they do, we won’t be left with any other option but to look for new players.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand