Troubled Bayern Munich enjoying Champions League success
Bayern Munich may have had a rocky start to their domestic season with their squad depleted by injuries but when it comes to the Champions League the Group E leaders could not have hoped for a better run.
"Now we might not even need another point to qualify for the round of 16," said beaming club president Uli Hoeness after two own goals by CFR Cluj gifted Bayern a 3-2 win over the Romanians on Tuesday, their third out of three games in the competition.
"Even to top the group we will probably just need one more win out of our last three games," Hoeness said of last season`s Champions League runners-up who top the group on nine points.
Bayern are eager to wrap up qualification for the next round as soon as possible to focus on the Bundesliga where their worst start to a season sees them languishing in 10th place afte eight games -- 10 points behind leaders Borussia Dortmund.
With wingers Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben out for several more weeks, Bayern also had to compensate for the absence of captain Mark van Bommel, strikers Ivica Olic and Miroslav Klose as well as defender Daniel van Buyten among others.
Coach Louis van Gaal had only 18 players at his disposal on Tuesday but saw striker Mario Gomez, who last year became the Bundesliga`s most expensive signing, score against Cluj after his hat-trick in a 3-0 home win over Hanover 96 at the weekend.
"You can sense that the insecurity of the last weeks is still there," said defender Philipp Lahm. "But the good thing is we showed we can keep winning even with so many injuries."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth