Tsonga out, Nadal and Murray ease through
Mason: World number 10 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga suffered a surprise defeat to qualifier Alex Bogomolov while Spain`s Rafa Nadal and Britain`s Andy Murray passed their second-round tests at the Cincinnati Open.
France`s Tsonga, a semi-finalist at Wimbledon, fell to the 28-year-old Florida-based, Moscow-born Bogomolov 6-3, 6-4.
Bogomolov, yet to win on the ATP Tour and ranked 50th, made a name for himself this year with a surprise win over Murray in Miami and he now gets another shot at the Briton.
Both Murray and Nadal suffered early exits at the Montreal Masters last week but there was little hint of a hangover in their latest matches.
Murray, the fourth seed, overcame a sluggish start to record a 6-4, 6-1 win over Argentine David Nalbandian, setting up a third-round match against Bogomolov.
World number two Nadal also put last week`s setback aside as he beat French qualifier Julien Benneteau 6-4, 7-5 in just over 90 minutes.
The Spaniard won all three break points he gained in a comfortable display and will now face compatriot Fernando Verdasco, who beat France`s Michael Llodra 6-4, 6-4.
Nadal was forced to play with bandages on two fingers on his right hand which he said were the result of handling a hot plate at a restaurant and suffering blisters.
Germany`s Philipp Kohlschreiber, continued his run here, following up his first round win over Andy Roddick with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Spain`s 25th ranked Feliciano Lopez.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read