Tweets 100 yrs ago
London: Did you think Twittering is a new up-to-the-minute technological advancement? Well, then here’s a piece of information: The Edwardians were doing it 100 years ago - using postcards instead of computers.
A study by Lancaster and Manchester Metropolitan universities has revealed how the picture postcard, containing an image on one side and space for writing on the other, became an instant hit after it was introduced in 1902.
Researchers have calculated that almost six billion were posted in Britain over a nine-year period from 1901 and 1910, reveal study authors Drs Julia Gillen and Nigel Hall.
Since post was delivered up to 10 times a day in major cities, the medium allowed users to write and respond quickly and cheaply.
Just like Twitter, which restricts users to 140 characters per "tweet", postcard writers only have a limited amount of space to pen a message.
Some of the postcards were straightforward, such as: "A PC from you this mg. is it tomorrow or next Sat. the opening...."
But others were definitely rather saucy.
"What ho! She bum.ps. If she doesn`t bump she bounces," said a postcard written in mirror writing in 1904. "If she doesn`t bounce ye get yer money back."
Gillen told Sky News Online, "Postcards, were as speedy in their day as tweeting is today. And there was immediacy too - you didn`t just send postcards on holiday, you received them.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview