Two grenade attacks in Kashmir Valley; one dead, 10 injured
Srinagar: Striking ahead of Independence Day, militants on Wednesday carried out two grenade attacks targeting CRPF pickets in Kashmir Valley, killing a 55-year-old man and injuring 10 others.
Ghulam Mohammad Dar, a shopkeeper, died on-the-spot and ten others were injured when militants exploded a grenade near a crowded bus stand in Sopore township, 55 kms from here, official sources said.
The militants wanted to attack a CRPF picket outside the headquarters of 179 battalion at around 10.40 AM but the grenade missed the intended target and exploded on the roadside killing Dar and injuring 10 other pedestrians.
All the injured were immediately shifted to hospital, the sources said adding three of them were sent to Srinagar for specialised treatment.
Police assisted by CRPF cordoned off the area soon
after the blast but no one was arrested during the subsequent
Earlier, militants also lobbed a grenade on a CRPF
picket at Noorbagh in downtown Srinagar.
However, no one was hurt as the device failed to
explode and was later neutralised by the experts of the bomb
disposal squad, the sources said.
The latest grenade attacks came despite security being
beefed up across the Kashmir valley in the run up to
Independence Day. Two grenade attacks in the past fortnight at
Rambagh and Habba Kadal in Srinagar have left one person dead
and nine others injured.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know