Two grenade attacks in Kashmir Valley; one dead, 10 injured
Srinagar: Striking ahead of Independence Day, militants on Wednesday carried out two grenade attacks targeting CRPF pickets in Kashmir Valley, killing a 55-year-old man and injuring 10 others.
Ghulam Mohammad Dar, a shopkeeper, died on-the-spot and ten others were injured when militants exploded a grenade near a crowded bus stand in Sopore township, 55 kms from here, official sources said.
The militants wanted to attack a CRPF picket outside the headquarters of 179 battalion at around 10.40 AM but the grenade missed the intended target and exploded on the roadside killing Dar and injuring 10 other pedestrians.
All the injured were immediately shifted to hospital, the sources said adding three of them were sent to Srinagar for specialised treatment.
Police assisted by CRPF cordoned off the area soon
after the blast but no one was arrested during the subsequent
Earlier, militants also lobbed a grenade on a CRPF
picket at Noorbagh in downtown Srinagar.
However, no one was hurt as the device failed to
explode and was later neutralised by the experts of the bomb
disposal squad, the sources said.
The latest grenade attacks came despite security being
beefed up across the Kashmir valley in the run up to
Independence Day. Two grenade attacks in the past fortnight at
Rambagh and Habba Kadal in Srinagar have left one person dead
and nine others injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets