Two more witnesses turn hostile in Sankararaman murder case
Puducherry: Two more prosecution witnesses
on Monday turned hostile during the trial in the Sankararaman
murder case in which Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi
is the prime accused.
When the hearing in the case resumed before Principal
District and Sessions Judge K Ramalingam, two of the five
witnesses examined turned hostile.
Of the 130 witnesses examined so far since the
commencement of the trial some two years ago, as many as 67
have turned hostile.
Sankararaman, Manager of the Varadararjaperumal temple in
Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered on the premises of the
temple on September 3, 2004.
Besides Jayendra Saraswathi, his junior Vijayendara
Saraswathi is also the prime accused in the case. The two had
been accused of hatching a conspiracy to murder Sankararaman.
Of the 24 accused only nine were present during the trial
today and the absentees included the two seers.
Special public Prosecutor N.Devadoss said the two
witnesses who turned hostile were retired Tamil Nadu
Government officers. They had contradicted the statements they
had made earlier before the police in Kancheepuram.
The trial was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpattu
district court on Supreme Court`s order in October 2005.
The Special Public Prosecutor told PTI that the Madras
High Court has issued directive to the Puducherry court to
accord priority to the case and conduct the hearing on day to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter