Two new women in Uttarakhand Assembly
Dehra Dun: Five women, including two new legislators, have been elected this time to the Uttarakhand Assembly.
While four women were elected on Congress tickets, the ruling BJP could send only one woman to the third state Assembly.
Sarita Arya who won from Nainital and Shailarani Rawat from Kedarnath would be the new faces from the fair sex in the this time.
From Congress only four managed to win this time, while from BJP only Barthwal, a cabinet minister from Yamkeshwar won again.
"We are thankful to our party president Sonia Gandhi for giving us a chance to raise our voice in the Vidhan Sabha. I will try my best to raise issues pertaining to women," said Arya, who won by a margin of 6308 votes by defeating BJP`s Hem Arya.
In the outgoing 70-member assembly, there were four women. Asha Nautiyal lost at the hustings, Bina Mehrana was denied ticket by the BJP, while the other two Amrita Rawat (Congress) and Vijaya Barthwal (BJP) scored impressive victories achieving hat-tricks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev