Two Punjab Home Guard Jawans rewarded for bravery
Chandigarh: It was a red letter day in the
lives of two lowly paid Punjab Home Guard Volunteers namely
Jaswant Singh and Avtar Singh as DGP P S Gill today decided
to honour them by recruiting as full fledged Constables in
State Police for showing exemplary courage at the risk of
They have risked their lives for nabbing three poppy
husk smugglers after an encounter in Rajpura in the month of
The gesture of DGP of giving instant reward for
bravery has acted as a morale booster for the force.
According to a spokesman in Punjab Police, both
the Home Guard Volunteers were part of the Police party which
intercepted three smugglers on June 19, 2009 who were
carrying 14 gunny bags of poppy husk in a black car.
After being intercepted the smugglers opened fire
and seriously injured Avtar Singh.
Despite being injured, Avtar Singh along with Jaswant
Singh, without bothering the risk of his life, showed a rare
example of courage and nabbed the smugglers on the spot.
Besides, 14 gunny bags of poppy husk, two revolvers along with
9 live and 3 used rounds were recovered on the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie