UEFA`s Platini to help Greece reform soccer
Athens: UEFA President Michel Platini promised to send teams of experts this summer to help Greece reform its soccer leagues following fan violence at games and a match-fixing scandal, a Greek sports minister said on Tuesday.
Platini met with Prime Minister George Papandreou and Pavlos Geroulanos, a minister for culture and sport.
Geroulanos said four teams of experts from European soccer`s governing body will head to Greece to provide advice on dealing with match-fixing, doping, violence and refereeing.
"There is the will on both sides to put a stop to the corruption and violence in Greek football," Geroulanos said. "We looked at practical ways to deal with these issues and transfer UEFA`s know-how."
More than 60 Greek club officials, players, businessmen and others are under investigation in a corruption probe. Ten people were in custody on charges of money laundering and participation in a criminal organization.
The Greek investigation was launched after UEFA gave authorities a report citing irregular betting patterns, mostly involving Greek Cup and second division games in 2009 and 2010.
Last month, the Greek Football Association suspended its operations for two weeks to press the government and professional clubs to take an active role in cleaning up the sport.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India