UEFA`s Platini to help Greece reform soccer
Athens: UEFA President Michel Platini promised to send teams of experts this summer to help Greece reform its soccer leagues following fan violence at games and a match-fixing scandal, a Greek sports minister said on Tuesday.
Platini met with Prime Minister George Papandreou and Pavlos Geroulanos, a minister for culture and sport.
Geroulanos said four teams of experts from European soccer`s governing body will head to Greece to provide advice on dealing with match-fixing, doping, violence and refereeing.
"There is the will on both sides to put a stop to the corruption and violence in Greek football," Geroulanos said. "We looked at practical ways to deal with these issues and transfer UEFA`s know-how."
More than 60 Greek club officials, players, businessmen and others are under investigation in a corruption probe. Ten people were in custody on charges of money laundering and participation in a criminal organization.
The Greek investigation was launched after UEFA gave authorities a report citing irregular betting patterns, mostly involving Greek Cup and second division games in 2009 and 2010.
Last month, the Greek Football Association suspended its operations for two weeks to press the government and professional clubs to take an active role in cleaning up the sport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder