UN rights chief wants `full disclosure` on Osama killing
Oslo: UN human rights chief Navi Pillay on Thursday
called for "a full disclosure of the accurate facts" to
determine the legality of the killing of Qaeda leader Osama
"I`m still for a full disclosure of the accurate facts,"
Pillay told reporters in Oslo.
"I think it`s not just my office but anybody is entitled
to know exactly what happened," she added.
Pillay`s declarations come a day after US Attorney
General Eric Holder told a Senate hearing the raid during
which bin Laden was killed "was lawful and consistent with our
"The United Nations condemns terrorism but it also has
basic rules of how counter-terrorism activity has to be
carried out. It has to be in compliance with international
law," she said.
"For instance, you`re not allowed (...) to commit torture
or extra-judicial killings," she explained.
The White House`s changing story over the attack has
raised doubts about US assurances that the US special
operations forces sent to bin Laden`s lair in the Pakistani
garrison town of Abbottabad were prepared to take him alive.
"If he had surrendered, I think -- attempted to surrender
-- I think we should, obviously, have accepted that," Holder
told the Senate committee.
Pillay said this week "the United States has clearly
stated that their intention was to arrest bin Laden if they
could, I fully understand that this was always likely to have
On Monday, the White House said bin Laden was armed when
he was shot dead in his comfortable compound not far from
But a day later, White House spokesman Jay Carney
corrected that account, saying the terror chief was unarmed
when gunned down by an elite team of US Navy SEALs in what he
called a "highly volatile firefight."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital