Unaccounted Rs 12 cr cash seized since Dec 24
Chandigarh: Income Tax department here has
so far seized unaccounted Rs 12 crore cash since the model
code of conduct was enforced in Punjab ahead of the Assembly
"Of the total cash confiscation of Rs 28 crore from
various parts of Punjab by State Static Surveillance teams
since December 24 last year when the model code of conduct
came into force, Rs 12 crore were unaccounted money," a senior
Income Tax official said.
"The amount which has been seized is mainly unaccounted
business income from trading, manufacturing and real estate
sector," he said, adding that rest of the money was returned
after carrying out due verification.
The industrial city Ludhiana tops the list of cities
where maximum amount of black money has been unearthed by the
Income Tax department.
"After Ludhiana, maximum amount of unaccounted cash was
confiscated from Patiala and Mohali," the official said.
However, the department did not find any cash which was
to be used in elections to bribe voters.
"Our motive is to seize cash which is unexplained. It is
very difficult to ascertain the cash so seized was to be
misused in elections," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway