United hit six as Scholes waves goodbye
Manchester: Paul Scholes was on the scoresheet as he marked his Manchester United farewell with a goal in a 6-0 win over New York Cosmos as the former England midfielder waved goodbye to a packed Old Trafford on Friday.
The 36-year-old, who retired at the end of last season after making 676 appearances in his 17-year United career and winning 10 Premier League titles, opened the scoring with a fierce 20-yard strike after just eight minutes in the testimonial game.
"I hope I gave them a few decent memories," said Scholes, who was joined by Pele on the pitch at the end of the game to say his goodbyes.
The occasion also saw another United legend, Eric Cantona, returning to Old Trafford in his new role as director of football at the Cosmos.
The Frenchman greeted Scholes before kick-off and was given a reception louder than that afforded to Pele, who is also part of the Cosmos` campaign to win a place in Major League Soccer in 2013.
The Cosmos were a trail-blazing club in the 1970s in the US when their team featured Pele as well as the likes of Johan Cruyff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'