United`s Ferdinand out for a month with injury
Manchester: Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has been ruled out for up to a month with a thigh injury, also putting him out of England`s World Cup qualifier with Croatia in September.
The centre-back missed United`s opening two games of the season and the latest scan results will come as a major blow to club and country.
United have got off to a faltering start in the English Premier League and Fabio Capello`s England team play a friendly with Slovenia before the 2010 qualifier at home to Croatia on Sept. 9
United, stunned 1-0 at Burnley in midweek, will at least welcome back Gary Neville and Nemanja Vidic, who has been out with a calf problem, for Saturday`s visit to Wigan.
"It has been established Rio will be out three to four weeks," United manager Alex Ferguson told reporters "Experience is important and the kind of experience that Gary Neville would bring is obviously great experience.”
"Vidic`s performance levels since he has been with us have been outstanding. You always want that in your team and we`ve got that back tomorrow. He has been training with us for 10 days and will be okay."
Despite their shaky start, a long injury-list and only one goal in their opening two games, Ferguson insisted he will not be attempting to sign any new players before the transfer window closes in 10 days.
"I have made the point, this is a good group of players," said the Scot. "We have dominated the last two games of football although we would have liked to have scored more goals.”
"Our ratio of goals last season dropped for the first time, it was our poorest for 15 years in terms of goal difference.”
"That was the issue last year and it`s going to be the issue this year unless we step up to the mark. I think we can do that. We can win games alright, this is a good squad of players."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list