Unlock phones, tablets with touch recognition
London: Trawling through possible password combinations could become a distant memory in the future as new smartphones and tablets will allow access to users at the sight of their owners face or a single touch.
According to a newspaper, software giants Google and Apple are introducing phones that identify users through sight and touch recognition.
Last week Apple applied to the US patent office to register facial recognition software, so instead of sliding to unlock the iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, one could simply point it at one’s face.
The patent entitled ‘Low Threshold Face Recognition’, was picked up by Apple Insider blog, who said that “using a forward-facing camera to recognise an individual user, future iPhones and iPads from Apple could automatically customise applications, settings and features to a user`s personal preferences once they pick up the device.”
The website explained that Apple’s application stated rather than analysing a user’s entire face which can drain the battery, Apple’s concept would rely on a “high information portion’ of a human face.
It is understood that their system will scale the distance between a users eyes and mouth and once it has measured that against the image originally captured, it will be able to confirm that it is the same person and unlock.
The patent also details that each user could customize their personal profile with unique wallpaper, applications and settings, and that profile would be immediately accessed once the iPad recognizes a user’s face.
New phones using Google’s Andriod platform already have a face recognition tool that uses the inbuilt camera.
However, this new technology may not yet be effective to completely eradicate passwords in favour of facial recognition.
Within days of the Google Android facial recognition tool being launched, there were reports online claiming that it could be fooled by holding a photograph of the owners face up to the device.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa