Unlucky Wolfsburg frustrated by Besiktas
Berlin: VfL Wolfsburg missed a series of chances and hit the woodwork before having to settle for a 0-0 draw with Besiktas in Champions League Group B.
The result left the Germans second in the group on four points, behind Manchester United on nine following the English champions` 1-0 win over CSKA Moscow. Besiktas are bottom with just one point.
Wolfsburg dominated the game until striker Grafite was sent off for hitting an opponent late in the second half as the Turks settled back waiting for a chance to break.
"We did not score when we could have. I think we were unlucky as well," said Wolfsburg coach Armin Veh. "Our crosses were a bit too long. We seemed to play well up until the box. We wanted those three points."
The hosts came close after 10 minutes when striker Edin Dzeko, left completely unmarked in the box, connected with a deep Zvjezdan Misimovic cross but his header narrowly sailed over the bar.
Besiktas, who had lost all their previous matches against Bundesliga teams, quickly responded with a chance of their own but Ibrahim Kas`s volley was blocked by keeper Diego Benaglio.
With the Turkish side built around a compact defence waiting to launch quick breaks mainly with Nihat Kahveci, Misimovic continued to feed fellow Bosnian Dzeko with crosses from out wide.
The German champions laid siege to the Turkish goal early in the second half, with Christian Gentner firing just over the bar five minutes after the restart. Dzeko hit the near post three minutes later with a low drive from the left.
The Germans were reduced to 10 men in the 74th minute when Brazilian forward Grafite, struggling for position in the box, struck Kas in the face with the back of his hand.
"We still have the keys for the next round in our hands. We are still in the running," said Wolfsburg defender Sascha Riether.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo