UP polls: 57 percent turnout in 3rd phase
Lucknow: A turnout of around 57 per cent
was on Wednesday recorded for 56 seats in an incident-free third
phase of UP Assembly elections which saw polling in Amethi and
Rae Bareli areas, the pocket boroughs of Nehru-Gandhi family.
The third phase with a total electorate of 1.75 crore
will decide the fate of three cabinet ministers, a minister of
state, 29 sitting MLAs and 14 former ministers.
The polling, which began on a sluggish note at 18,374
booths spread over 10 districts, picked up as the day
progressed and registered an overall turn out at around 57 per
cent, Deputy Election Commissioner Alok Shukla said in Delhi.
"This time polling for these seats has been 23.29 per
cent more than what it was during 2007 elections," Shukla
As many as 1,018 candidates were in the fray for
elections held in Amethi and Rae Bareli, traditional
strongholds of Nehru-Gandhi family, CSM Nagar, Sultanpur,
Kaushambi, Allahabad, Jaunpur, Varanasi, Sant Ravidas Nagar
and Naxal-hit areas of Chandauli, Mirzapur and Sonbhadra.
Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka
Gandhi and her husband Robert Vadra had vigorously campaigned
in Amethi and Rae Bareli areas in the run-up to the voting.
The remaining phases of polling for 403-strong Assembly
will be held on February 19, 23, 28 and March 3. Counting of
votes will take place on March 6.
The first phase of polling on February 8 in 55
constituencies in 10 districts had recorded around 63 per cent
turnout while the voting percentage in the second phase on
February 11 for 59 seats spread over nine districts was 59 per
Till late afternoon, Sultanpur district had recorded a
maximum of 50 per cent polling, whereas 44.88 per cent was
registered in Jaunpur.
"Voting began at 7 am for the third phase of Assembly
elections and 47.05 per cent polling was recorded till 3 pm,"
Election Commission officials said here. Among other
districts, CSM Nagar recorded 47 per cent, Kaushambi 47 per
cent, Varanasi 46.62 per cent, Bhadoi 47 per cent and
Sonbhadra 46 per cent till about two hours before close of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?