UP polls: Boy killed in celebratory firing
Lucknow: Sporadic violence involving Samajwadi
workers broke out in Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday in which one boy was
killed, two people injured and TV cameras smashed during a
clash with mediamen who were trapped in separate incidents.
Fresh from his party`s stunning victory in Assembly
elections, Samajwadi leader Akhilesh Yadav condemned the
violence and assured that action will be taken against all
those who have taken law into their hands. He said he was
aware of the three incidents in Sambhal, Jhansi and Firozabad.
Police said the 12-year-old boy identified as Danish died
after being hit by a bullet during celebratory firing
allegedly by supporters of SP candidate from Sambhal assembly
seat Iqbal Mahmood this evening. Sambhal is about 350 km from
Superintendent of Police D K Garg said necessary
action was being taken.
Reports reaching here from Jhansi, about 300 km from
here, said supporters of SP clashed with some TV cameramen
during which some of their equipments were broken. The
mediamen were also trapped in a room.
A complaint in this regard has been registered with the
district administration, sources said.
Jhansi SP Satish Ganesh said the journalists are safe and
there is no danger to them.
Akhilesh said two groups clashed before the results came
out in Jhansi and that he had spoken to police.
"We have discussed to get mediapersons out safely and
stern action will be taken against who`s behind it," he said,
adding "it is time of election results and is still nto clear
to what happened."
In Firozabad, two people were injured with one
receiving gunshot injuries as supporters of defeated
Samajwadi Party candidate from Sadar seat, Azim Bhai clashed
with police and opened fire demanding recounting on the seat
which it lost to BJP by a margin of 2,015 votes.
The SP supporters squatted on the National Highway at
Nagla Bati area demanding recounting of votes and they
clashed with the police which reached there to disperse them,
police sources said.
As police resorted to lathi charge and lobbed tear
gas shells, the mob indulged in heavy brick batting and also
opened fire resulting in injuries to one Shanu (22) and
another ten-year-old boy.
According to SP, Manjil Saini, both the injured have
been referred to Agra for treatment and additional force has
been deployed in the area.
The SP described the situation as tense but under
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister