UP polls: Candidates woo rich Aryanagar voters
Kanpur: Aryanagar in Central Kanpur, home to
many senior officials and top industrialists, will see a
four-cornered contest between BJP, SP, Congress and BSP, over
majorly the issue of poor civic amenities in the area.
With a population of 2,44,000, Aryanagar has been created
after delimitation with a large part of the former Generalganj
seat and would go to polls on February 23.
Present SP MLA from here, Irfan Solanki is now contesting
from Sisamau while BJP`s Salil Vishnoi, MLA for ten years from
Generalganj is contesting from Aryanagar.
Ex-mayor Anil Sharma from Congress and former student
leader Jitendra Bahadur Singh is contesting on a SP ticket
while BSP`s Kailash Sharma is also in the fray.
The area is home to rich, educated and VIP voters, so
BJP`s Vishnoi believes that will secure his victory. He says
being an MLA for past ten years despite being in opposition,
his development work like sewer lines, roads, power and
cleanliness in the area will fetch him the votes.
His claims are refuted by SP`s Jitendra Bahadur Singh who
says the civic condition of former Generalganj seat held by
BJP and now part of Aryanagar, is pathetic contrary to
The SP candidate said, the people were fed up with unkept
promises of the BJP legislator and want a change for
development which the SP can provide.
He counts the 70,000 Muslim and 28,000 backward voters as
his support base that will win him the seat.
Congress` Anil Sharma is counting on his performance as
mayor and his image as an educated and committed leader while
BSP`s Kailash Sharma is banking on his clean image and support
of about 22,000 Dalit voters.
Political observers say, the contest will be mainly
between SP, BJP and Congress with BSP also putting in a good
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest