UP polls: Several tainted candidates bite the dust
New Delhi: The growing frustration of people
against criminal elements in politics has manifested itself in
the Uttar Pradesh elections, where several such candidates
lost by big margins.
Prominent among those with criminal records who were
vanquished in the polls are D P Yadav, Atiq Ahmad, Brajesh
Singh, Abhay Singh, Madan Bhaiyya and Munna Bajrangi.
However, strongmen like Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias
Raja Bhaiyya, Mitrasen Yadav and Akhilesh Kumar Singh, who too
face criminal charges, have won again this time.
DP Yadav, whose son Vikas Yadav is serving a sentence
for the murder of Nitish Katara, was in the news recently when
his attempt to join the Samajwadi Party was thwarted by
Akhilesh Yadav. He contested from Sahaswan constituency on a
Rashtriya Parivartan Dal ticket but stood third.
Pooja Pal, the BSP candidate from Allahabad (West) had
sweet revenge against mafia don Atiq Ahmad (Apna Dal) when she
defeated him in the elections. Ahmad`s men were allegedly
involved in the killing of her husband Raju Pal in a brutal
manner a few days after her marriage.
Prem Prakash Singh alias Munna Bajrangi, who is
incarcerated in Tihar jail for the murder of BJP MLA
Krishnanand Rai, contested on Apna Dal ticket from Mariyahu
constituency in Jaunpur but stood third.
Mukhtar Ansari, accused of being a co-conspirator with
Bajrangi, has several criminal cases including that of murder
against him. He lost from Ghosi where he came third but won
the Mau seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India