UP polls: Several tainted candidates bite the dust
New Delhi: The growing frustration of people
against criminal elements in politics has manifested itself in
the Uttar Pradesh elections, where several such candidates
lost by big margins.
Prominent among those with criminal records who were
vanquished in the polls are D P Yadav, Atiq Ahmad, Brajesh
Singh, Abhay Singh, Madan Bhaiyya and Munna Bajrangi.
However, strongmen like Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias
Raja Bhaiyya, Mitrasen Yadav and Akhilesh Kumar Singh, who too
face criminal charges, have won again this time.
DP Yadav, whose son Vikas Yadav is serving a sentence
for the murder of Nitish Katara, was in the news recently when
his attempt to join the Samajwadi Party was thwarted by
Akhilesh Yadav. He contested from Sahaswan constituency on a
Rashtriya Parivartan Dal ticket but stood third.
Pooja Pal, the BSP candidate from Allahabad (West) had
sweet revenge against mafia don Atiq Ahmad (Apna Dal) when she
defeated him in the elections. Ahmad`s men were allegedly
involved in the killing of her husband Raju Pal in a brutal
manner a few days after her marriage.
Prem Prakash Singh alias Munna Bajrangi, who is
incarcerated in Tihar jail for the murder of BJP MLA
Krishnanand Rai, contested on Apna Dal ticket from Mariyahu
constituency in Jaunpur but stood third.
Mukhtar Ansari, accused of being a co-conspirator with
Bajrangi, has several criminal cases including that of murder
against him. He lost from Ghosi where he came third but won
the Mau seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla