UP polls: Several tainted candidates bite the dust
New Delhi: The growing frustration of people
against criminal elements in politics has manifested itself in
the Uttar Pradesh elections, where several such candidates
lost by big margins.
Prominent among those with criminal records who were
vanquished in the polls are D P Yadav, Atiq Ahmad, Brajesh
Singh, Abhay Singh, Madan Bhaiyya and Munna Bajrangi.
However, strongmen like Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias
Raja Bhaiyya, Mitrasen Yadav and Akhilesh Kumar Singh, who too
face criminal charges, have won again this time.
DP Yadav, whose son Vikas Yadav is serving a sentence
for the murder of Nitish Katara, was in the news recently when
his attempt to join the Samajwadi Party was thwarted by
Akhilesh Yadav. He contested from Sahaswan constituency on a
Rashtriya Parivartan Dal ticket but stood third.
Pooja Pal, the BSP candidate from Allahabad (West) had
sweet revenge against mafia don Atiq Ahmad (Apna Dal) when she
defeated him in the elections. Ahmad`s men were allegedly
involved in the killing of her husband Raju Pal in a brutal
manner a few days after her marriage.
Prem Prakash Singh alias Munna Bajrangi, who is
incarcerated in Tihar jail for the murder of BJP MLA
Krishnanand Rai, contested on Apna Dal ticket from Mariyahu
constituency in Jaunpur but stood third.
Mukhtar Ansari, accused of being a co-conspirator with
Bajrangi, has several criminal cases including that of murder
against him. He lost from Ghosi where he came third but won
the Mau seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video