UP records all-time high of 60% polling
Lucknow: Voting in the seven-phased Assembly
elections in the politically sensitive state of Uttar Pradesh
was at all time high recording an overall turnout of around 60
per cent with the last phase on Saturday registering 62 per cent
Polling in the staggered month-long exercise whose
outcome is being keenly watched was marked by sporadic
incidents of violence.
"The turnout in Uttar Pradesh was highest at around 60
per cent, recording an increase of 30.23 per cent over the
2007 turnout," Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi told
reporters in Delhi.
UP had recorded a turnout of only 46.07 per cent in the
previous assembly polls in 2007. The highest voter turnout so
far was in 1993 when 57.13 per cent voters cast their ballots.
Quraishi thanked the voters for exercising their
franchise and making a historic turnout in UP this time.
He said the turnout of women increased by 42.77 per cent,
as compared to the last time. Of the total women electors, a
total of 59.85 per cent women came out to vote in the 2012
assembly polls, against 41.92 per cent who voted in the 2007
"It is more than the turnout of men which is 57.82 per
cent," said Quraishi, adding that "this is specially
significant in view of the adverse gender ratio of voters in
UP which is 816 women to 1,000 men".
Polling for the 60 seats, nearly half of which were
bagged by BSP last time, in the ten districts began at 7 am
today and 62.04 per cent polling was registered till 5 pm,
Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha said.
In the last phase of polling today, several prominent
leaders, including MP Jaya Prada, BJP national general
secretary Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, Union Minister of State Jitin
Prasad, MP Mohd Azharduddin and SP leader Azam Khan cast their
Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha said that a maximum
67.25 per cent voting was registered in Jyotiba Phule Nagar
district followed by 65.88 per cent in Pilibhit.
Bheemnagar registered 61 per cent, Bareilly 61.33 per
cent, Bijnore 62 per cent, Shahjahanpur 61.33 per cent,
Mordabad 61.83 and Badaun 59.17 per cent.
In Badaun, JD(U) candidate for Shekhupura seat Sanjeev
Gupta was assaulted allegedly by SP supporters in Ujhani area.
In another incident, BJP and Congress men gheraoed a
police station after some workers were detained. Following
the incident, deputy Superintendent of Police Rafeeq Ahmad was
removed from the election duty.
Trouble started when the DySP allegedly assaulted some
booth workers of BJP and Congress and took them to police
station after which candidates of both the parties protested
along with their supporters.
In the last phase, the fate of 962 candidates, including
some political veterans in the 10 districts of Bijnore,
Moradabad, Bheem Nagar, Rampur, Jyotiba Phule Nagar, Badaun,
Bareilly, Pilibhit, Shahjahanpur and Lakhimpur was decided.
At a booth in Jahangirabad in Sahaswan seat of Badaun
sitting MLA D P Yadav had a dispute with security forces after
being prevented from entering it with supporters.
Besides Samajwadi Party`s Muslim face Mohammad Azam
Khan, who is contesting from Rampur, the fate of minister
Omvati in the Mayawati government from Nagina, BSP MP Jugal
Kishore`s son Saurabh from Kasta and Rastriya Parivartan Dal
head D P Yadav, considered heavyweight from Sahsawan seat,
were sealed today.
This phase was earlier scheduled for February four
last but was later postponed to March three.
The influence of BJP MP from Aonla Maneka Gandhi, her son
and BJP MP from Pilibhit Varun Gandhi, Union Minister and MP
from Dhaurara seat in Lakhimpur, Jitin Prasad and Congress MP
Azharuddin in their constituencies were tested in the final
In the 2007 Assembly polls, BSP had bagged 27 of these
seats, while SP and BJP had got 17 and nine seats,
Around 57 per cent polling was recorded in the last six
phases of the elections to the 403-member UP assembly
which started on February 8 with the stakes being high for
Mayawati`s ruling BSP which is facing a tough challenge from
Congress, BJP and SP.
An impressive 62 to 64 per cent turnout was registered
in the first phase covering 55 seats. Nearly 59 per cent
voting was registered in 59 seats for the second phase of
The third phase on February 15 saw a turnout of
around 57 per cent in 56 seats. The next phase on February 19,
covering Rae Bareli and Amethi, strongholds of Nehru-Gandhi
family, also registered a turnout of over 57 per cent. The
fifth and the sixth phase on February 23 and 28 recorded 59
per cent polling in 49 seats and 68 seats respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo