UP tops in pendency of civil, criminal cases in courts
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh has topped the
list of pending civil and criminal cases in high courts and
According to the latest data of Law and Justice Ministry
for 2008, a total of 9,11,858 cases were pending in the
Allahabad High Court.
There were 51,60,174 cases pending in different
subordinate courts in Uttar Pradesh, the data said.
Madras, Bombay and Calcutta High Courts also have
4,51,496, 3,69,978 and 3,00,473 pending cases respectively.
There were over 1.20 lakh pending cases in the Patna High
Court and about 70,000 cases in Delhi during the said period.
A total of 1,22,719 civil related cases and 60,305 criminal
matters were also awaiting decisions in Madhya Pradesh High
Court, it said.
The situation in North East states was comparatively
better than the other areas. There were 62,110 pending cases
in Gauhati High Court while in the Sikkim High Court, only 80
cases were pending till 2007, the data said.
There were 17,822 cases pending in Uttarakhand High Court
The Centre is periodically reviewing judges` strength in
high courts and ensuring prompt filling up of vacancies so
that administration of justice does not suffer from inadequate
number of Judges.
"On the basis of these reviews, 163 posts of judges have
been created in various high courts. The strength of Judges in
Supreme Court has also been increased from 26 to 31," a senior
Ministry official said.
There were about 40 lakh cases pending in different
subordinate courts in Maharashtra, 24 lakh in west Bengal and
14 lakh in Bihar, the data said.
A total of 12 lakh cases were also pending in courts in
Rajasthan and nearly 11.50 lakh cases in various subordinate
courts in Delhi.
Courts in Sikkim, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram and
Meghalaya have 788, 5,703, 6,392, 7,977 and 12,355 cases
respectively pending last year.
A lowest of 156 cases were pending in different
subordinate courts in Lakshadweep in 2008.
As per the information received from the Registry of the
Supreme Court, 50,659 matters (31,363 admission matters and
19,296 regular hearing matters) were pending there as on June
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Xiaomi MIUI 8 ROM starts rolling out: Know which phones in India will get the update
- Denied help by hospital authorities, Odisha man walks 10-km carrying wife's dead body; WATCH
- Salman Khan's fan trolled, criticised Yogeshwar Dutt after he was out of Olympics. Here's his FITTING reply
- Setback for NSUI as ABVP wins big in student union polls in Rajasthan
- North Korea leader says missile test `greatest success`