UP tops in pendency of civil, criminal cases in courts
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh has topped the
list of pending civil and criminal cases in high courts and
According to the latest data of Law and Justice Ministry
for 2008, a total of 9,11,858 cases were pending in the
Allahabad High Court.
There were 51,60,174 cases pending in different
subordinate courts in Uttar Pradesh, the data said.
Madras, Bombay and Calcutta High Courts also have
4,51,496, 3,69,978 and 3,00,473 pending cases respectively.
There were over 1.20 lakh pending cases in the Patna High
Court and about 70,000 cases in Delhi during the said period.
A total of 1,22,719 civil related cases and 60,305 criminal
matters were also awaiting decisions in Madhya Pradesh High
Court, it said.
The situation in North East states was comparatively
better than the other areas. There were 62,110 pending cases
in Gauhati High Court while in the Sikkim High Court, only 80
cases were pending till 2007, the data said.
There were 17,822 cases pending in Uttarakhand High Court
The Centre is periodically reviewing judges` strength in
high courts and ensuring prompt filling up of vacancies so
that administration of justice does not suffer from inadequate
number of Judges.
"On the basis of these reviews, 163 posts of judges have
been created in various high courts. The strength of Judges in
Supreme Court has also been increased from 26 to 31," a senior
Ministry official said.
There were about 40 lakh cases pending in different
subordinate courts in Maharashtra, 24 lakh in west Bengal and
14 lakh in Bihar, the data said.
A total of 12 lakh cases were also pending in courts in
Rajasthan and nearly 11.50 lakh cases in various subordinate
courts in Delhi.
Courts in Sikkim, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram and
Meghalaya have 788, 5,703, 6,392, 7,977 and 12,355 cases
respectively pending last year.
A lowest of 156 cases were pending in different
subordinate courts in Lakshadweep in 2008.
As per the information received from the Registry of the
Supreme Court, 50,659 matters (31,363 admission matters and
19,296 regular hearing matters) were pending there as on June
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?