Uruguay advance to World Cup after Costa Rica draw
Montevideo: Uruguay reached the 2010 World Cup finals after a 1-1 draw at home to Costa Rica in the second leg of their South America/CONCACAF playoff on Wednesday.
The Uruguayans, twice world champions, went through 2-1 on aggregate after their victory in the first leg in San Jose on Saturday.
Substitute striker Sebastian Abreu headed home with 20 minutes to go to put Uruguay ahead.
Costa Rica captain Walter Centeno restored the Central Americans` hope of an upset when he stunned Uruguay with an equaliser three minutes later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning