Uruguay beat Ghana to reach World Cup semis
Johannesburg: Uruguay booked a World Cup semi-final with Holland on Friday after beating Ghana 4-2 on penalties, 120 minutes having produced a 1-1 stalemate at Soccer City, Johannesburg.
Ghana scored first through midfielder Sulley Muntari with a 30-yard drive in first-half stoppage time, before Diego Forlan equalised with a long-range free-kick in the 55th minute.
In a dramatic finale, Asamoah Gyan missed a last-minute spotkick awarded after Luis Suarez handballed on the line - which saw the striker sent off - though Gyan converted in the shootout.
Uruguay, champions in 1930 and 1950, will play the Netherlands in the semi-finals in Cape Town on Tuesday.
Uruguay: Muslera; Maxi Pereira, Lugano, Victorino, Fucile; Fernández, Pérez, Ríos; Forlán; Cavani and Suárez
Ghana: Kingson; Pantsil, Mensah, Vorsah, Sarpei; Annan, Prince Boateng, Inkoom, Muntari; Kwadwo Asamoah, Asamoah Gyan
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read