Uruguay to agree Latin America`s first gay adoptions law
Montevideo: A trailblazing law allowing gay and lesbian couples to adopt children was due to pass its final hurdle in Uruguay on Wednesday with a Senate vote, in what will be a first in Latin America.
"It`s the penultimate issue on the agenda" for today`s
Senate session, Senator Margarita Percovich said to a news agency.
The Senate already approved a draft bill on its first
reading in July, but it now faces a second vote due to slight
changes to the text introduced when the lower house voted
approved the legislation last month.
Gay adoptions remain contentious worldwide, and Uruguay,
a nation of some 3.5 million people, will take another step
away from its more conservative neighbors after having already
authorized gay civil unions last year.
But the ruling leftist Frente Amplio coalition has a
majority in parliament and had been expected to push the
Tabare Vazquez, the first leftist president in Uruguayan
history, already opened access for homosexuals to military
schools in May.
The move has faced huge opposition, though, from the
country`s religious leaders and some right-wing politicians.
The Catholic Church is against the bill because "from
Genesis in the Bible, it says that `God created man and
woman,`" Bishop Paul Galimbertti said to a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi