Uruguay`s Forlan named player of World Cup
Johannesburg: Uruguay`s Diego Forlan won the best player of the tournament award on Sunday after lighting up the World Cup with some wonderful goals that helped his team become South America`s only semi-finalist.
The blond-locked striker won legions of admirers -- not least among South African women -- for his fantastic play on the pitch and courteous attitude off it where he always made time to sign autographs and chat with fans or journalists.
Forlan took 23.4 percent in the "Golden Ball" poll organised by world soccer body FIFA and voted for by journalists. Dutch playmaker Wesley Sneijder was second with 21.8 percent and Spain`s David Villa third on 16.9 percent.
All three got five goals, making them joint top scorers along with Germany`s Thomas Mueller.
Mueller took the "Golden Boot" award given to the top scorer, using assists and number of minutes played as a tie-breaker, FIFA said in a statement.
The German was also named Best Young Player.
As well as winning the World Cup, Spain also took the FIFA Fair Play Award. Their captain Iker Casillas won the "Golden Glove" prize for best goalkeeper.
Forlan`s award will cheer Uruguayans after their side lost agonisingly to Germany 3-2 in the third place playoff.
Forlan struck the bar with a typically spectacular free kick in the last touch of the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash