US approves world`s biggest solar project
Washington: The United States has approved
on a permit for the largest solar energy project in the world
-- four massive plants at the cost of one billion dollars
each in southern California.
"The Blythe solar power plant will consist of four,
250-Megawatt plants, built on public lands in the sun-drenched
Mojave desert," Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said yesterday.
"When completed the project is expected to generate up to
1,000 Megawatts of energy... That`s enough electricity to
power up to 750,000 average American homes and to make Blythe
the largest solar power plant facility in the world."
The total capacity will be roughly equal to the turbine
output of a nuclear power plant or a large modern coal-fired
power plant, according to Solar Millennium, the company
developing the facility.
Solar Millennium plans to begin construction on Blythe
this year, the company says on its website. At the height of
construction, the project is expected to create more than
The Blythe facility is one of a raft of renewable energy
projects that have been approved in recent weeks by the
Earlier this month, Salazar approved the first five
renewable energy projects on public lands, four in California
and one in Nevada, both states that have been hard hit by the
Two weeks ago, Salazar inaugurated the world`s largest
wind tower manufacturing plant in the working class town of
Pueblo, Colorado, which will be run by Danish company Vestas
One week earlier he signed a lease for the first major
offshore wind farm, off the coast of New Jersey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda