US bank collapse toll reaches 94 so far in 2009
New York: Two more US banks went belly up
last week, pushing total failures to a whopping 94 entities so
far this year in the country, even as the economy is showing
signs of recovery.
As many as 94 bank collapse have been witnessed in just
nine months, translating into an average of at least ten banks
are going belly up every month so far this year.
Besides, a staggering 109 banks have folded up in the US
since the collapse of the once-famed Wall Street firm Lehman
Brothers last September.
Two banking entities---Irwin Union Bank, FSB, Louisville,
and Irwin Union Bank and Trust Company in Columbus, were shut
down by the authorities on September 18.
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), which is
often appointed as the caretaker of failed entities would
incur a total cost of about USD 2.5 billion.
As per FDIC, Irwin Union Bank and Trust Company had
total assets of USD 2.7 billion and deposits of about USD 2.1
billion as of August 31, 2009.
Meanwhile, as on August 31 Irwin Union Bank, FSB in
Louisville had assets to the tune of USD 493 million and
deposits of about USD 441 million.
Of the 109 failures after the demise of the Lehman
Brothers, 15 took place last year. So far in September 2009,
10 banks have gone belly up.
Banking failures, especially of small and medium ones,
are rising on account of higher unemployment which has
resulted in more defaults.
Presenting a gloomy scenario, the FDIC has said the count
of problem banks, which are at the risk of collapsing, have
jumped to 416 in the second quarter of 2009.
In August, a stunning 15 banks failed, while in July, a
staggering 24 entities failed, which was the maximum for any
month in 2009. Seven banks went out of business on July 2 and
Among the collapsed entities this year are the First Bank
of Kansas, InBank, Vantus Bank, Platinum Community Bank and
the First State Bank, First Coweta Bank, eBank and Community
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark