US bank failures inching towards 100-mark, 98 collapse in 2009
New York: Pushing up the total number of US bank failures so far this year to close to a century, three more US banks have folded up last week even as the recession-hit economy is seeing signs of revival. Indicating that the country`s financial system continues to remain strained, the count of failures this year has gone up to 98. This is nearly four times that of 2008, when just 25 banks went belly- up in dust.
Warren Bank, Jennings State Bank and Southern Colorado National Bank were shut down by the authorities on October 2.
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the agency which insures the deposits in more than 8,000 banks, said the three failures would cost its fund about USD 293.3 million.
Staring at the soaring bank collapses, the FDIC recently proposed banks to pre-pay fees, which would bolster the agency`s insurance fund by USD 45 billion.
Small and medium banks are facing the worst impact of the financial turmoil, as rising unemployment is resulting in higher defaults.
In September, 11 banks failed while July saw 24 entities biting dust, the highest for any month in 2009.
Since July, a whopping 53 banks have collapsed and the numbers are anticipated to rise before the economy fully stabilises.
According to FDIC, the count of problem banks which are at the risk of failing have jumped to 416 in the second quarter of 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read