US duo drop restraining order blocking Liverpool sale
Dallas: Tom Hicks and George Gillett withdrew their temporary restraining order on Friday that had threatened to block the sale of Liverpool football club to the owners of the Boston Red Sox for 476 million dollars.
But attorneys for Hicks and Gillett said they will pursue legal avenues to securing 1.6 billion dollars in damages they expect will result from the sale to New England Sports Ventures (NESV), which owns baseball`s Red Sox.
Liverpool officials made the deal over the objections of owners Hicks and Gillett, who say the club is undervalued at the sales price.
But the deal, and the withdrawing of the restraining order at an early morning hearing in Hicks`s Texas home area, will enable Liverpool to pay off its debtors without taking the team into administration.
That threatened to cost Liverpool nine points in the English Premier League standings, possibly forcing the team to be relegated and scuttling the deal.
Meanwhile, Hicks and Gillett will be going after money to recoup their losses in a legal fight that promises to drag on well into the reign of the new ownership.
"It’s an extraordinary swindle and it will result in exactly the wrong thing for the club and the fans," warned Steve Stodghill, the Texas lawyer representing Hicks and Gillett.
"This outcome not only devalues the club but it also will result in long-term uncertainty for the fans, players and everyone who loves this sport because all legal recourses will be pursued."
Royal Bank of Scotland, the club`s lender, had set a Friday deadline to have the ownership situation settled or risk taking the club into financial insolvency.
Liverpool directors decided on the sale to NESV rather than stick with the first set of American owners.
"Mr. Hicks and Mr. Gillett pledged to pay the debt to RBS so that the Club could avoid administration that was threatened by RBS. That offer was rejected," Stodghill said.
"It is a tragic development that others will claim as a victory. This means it won’t be resolved the way it should be resolved.”
"My clients worked tirelessly to resolve these issues but RBS would not listen to any reasonable solution and the directors acted selfishly and illegally."
The legality issues likely will not be decided until protracted litigation and appeals have run their course, with Hicks and Gillett having no other recourse and warning their moves will cause even more future uncertainty for the Reds and their Merseyside supporters.
"Mr. Hicks and Mr. Gillett wanted to position this club for the future, but others have a different agenda," Stodghill said.
"In truth, there is nothing positive from these events for Liverpool Football. That is exactly the opposite of what my clients wanted to achieve."
Liverpool supporters have protested with signs saying, "Tom and George Not Welcome Here" and complained as they watched the club, an 18-time English champion, become saddled with debt and this season launch its worst start since 1953.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'