US economy recovering but fixes needed: Geithner
Washington: US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner says the nation is moving toward economic recovery but that the regulatory system is broken and must be fixed.
In remarks prepared for a House hearing on Wednesday, Geithner says Congress must pass legislation that would impose new protections for consumers, create a more stable system and protect taxpayers from bearing the cost of another financial crisis.
Democrats are considering changes to the administration`s regulatory reform plan after an aggressive push back by community banks, who argue that the new restrictions would be too burdensome.
Geithner says that while the Obama administration and Congress may disagree on how best to fix the system, "that cannot mean we do not act".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!