`US, Europe job markets to remain weak until 2011`
Paris: Although much of the world appears to be emerging from the economic crisis, joblessness is expected to remain high in the US and Europe at least until 2011, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) said Thursday.
According to OECD, "The Indian economy has weathered the global downturn relatively well."
Although poor monsoon rainfall will "modestly hamper" India`s recovery, economic growth is projected to reach over 7 percent in 2010 and 7.5 percent in 2011.
"It is only some time down the line that the recovery will become sufficiently strong to reduce unemployment," the OECD said in its semi-annual Economic Outlook, issued in Paris.
The organisation sees US joblessness dipping to just below 10 percent in the third quarter of next year and to remain at 9 percent or higher until the end of 2011.
Unemployment in the Euro area is forecast to rise to nearly 11 percent next year and to stay at or near that level through 2011.
The OECD predicts that the jobless rate in Japan will fluctuate between 5.5 and 5.7 percent until the second half of 2011, when it should improve slightly.
The organisation said that the economic upturn in non-OECD countries, "especially in Asia and particularly in China, is now a well-established source of strength" for the relatively weaker recovery among OECD member nations.
"Vigorous growth has resumed in China thanks to a very large monetary and fiscal stimulus," the OECD said.
Chinese annual GDP growth is projected to exceed 8 percent in 2009 and 10 percent next year, before easing slightly in 2011 as the impact of the fiscal stimulus ends.
The US economy is forecast to continue to expand gradually, reaching GDP growth of 2.5 per cent next year and 2.8 per cent in 2011.
The OECD expects the euro area`s economic recovery to remain weak, reaching a very modest 0.9 per cent in 2010 and 1.7 per cent the following year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced