US Open: Bopanna-Qureshi storm into doubles semis
New York: The sixteenth seeded pair of India’s Rohan Bopanna and Pakistan’s Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi upset Wesley Moodie and Dick Norman 7-5, 7-6 to advance to the semi finals of the US Open 2010 Grand Slam on Wednesday.
The Indo-Pak pair beat the tenth seeded duo in grueling straight sets, keeping the Indian hopes alive after the ouster of Leander Paes from the mixed doubles event yesterday.
Reaching the Wimbledon quarter-finals this year was the best ever performance for the 16th seed Indo-Pak pair before this memorable win.
Bopanna is the only Indian left in the draw and was delighted with his good run in the last Grand Slam of the season.
"I can`t describe the range of emotions we went through today, it was such a closely fought match and to come out victorious in the end, it`s just unbelievable," Boppana said.
The Indian though said it was not easy to mow down their opponents.
"With both our opponents being over 6ft 7inches tall it wasn`t easy handling their serves but we played confident, positive tennis throughout."
The duo now faces the unseeded pair of Eduardo Schwank and Horacio Zeballos for a place in the finals.
The Argentines, who knocked out Mahesh Bhupathi and Max Mirnyi in the second round, will be a difficult pair to handle says the Coorgi.
"Being a left-right combo, they can be very difficult to tackle, but Aisam and I have worked really hard and we are in good touch too, so we are ready for the challenge and hope to come out on top," Bopanna said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list