US Open winner Clijsters withdraws from China Open
Beijing: US Open champion Kim Clijsters has withdrawn from next month`s China Open to recover from foot surgery, the Belgian superstar announced on her website.
"I am very sorry to have to cancel for Beijing," said Clijsters, currently fifth in the WTA Tour rankings.
"After I returned from New York, I had some moles removed. The operation had been planned for quite a while. However, the wound on my foot sole is healing really badly. Therefore playing tennis is not possible."
Clijsters, 27, said there was "no doubt" that she would be ready for the season-ending championships in Doha, which begin on October 26.
The withdrawal of Clijsters from the China Open comes after world number one Serena Williams pulled out of tournaments in both Tokyo and Beijing, as she continues to recover from recent surgery on her right foot.
The American cut her foot on broken glass at a restaurant shortly after winning her fourth Wimbledon crown in July and has not played since.
The China Open, a joint WTA-ATP event, gets under way in Beijing on October 2.
America`s multi-Grand Slam winner Venus Williams, world number two Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark and Russia`s Maria Sharapova are expected to headline the women`s draw.
On the men`s side, world number two Novak Djokovic of Serbia will defend his title. Britain`s Andy Murray, Sweden`s Robin Soderling and Russia`s Nikolay Davydenko -- ranked fourth, fifth and sixth by the ATP -- are also in the draw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP