US Seals were told to avoid engaging Pak forces
Washington: The `Abbottabad operation`
against Osama bin Laden was planned till the last minute detail by the US intelligence and the American naval Seals had
been told to avoid chances of any engagement with Pakistani
And top White House officials heaved a huge sigh of
relief when the four US military helicopters were out of
Pakistan air space just in the nick of time as clueless
authorities in Islamabad were scrambling fighters to intercept
"The Operation was designed to minimise the chances of
engagement with Pakistani forces," John Brennan, President
Barack Obama`s Advisor on Counter-terrorism said.
"It was done very well," he said, adding that no
Pakistani forces were engaged and there were no other
individuals who were killed except those inside the compound.
Brennan`s remarks came as other top US officials said
that latest intelligence reports indicated that the al Qaeda
chief had been living in the Abbottabad mansion for over six
He said Pakistani were only contacted after "all our
people and aircraft were out of Pakistan airspace".
The US official said that at that time Pakistani`s had
begun reacting to the incidents that were taking place in
Abbottabad. "Therefore, they were scrambling some of their
"Clearly, we were concerned that if the Pakistanis
decided to scramble jets or whatever else -- they didn`t know
who was on those jets. They had no idea about who might have
been on there, whether it be US or somebody else," he said in
response to a question.
"So we were watching and making sure that our people
and our aircraft were able to get out of the Pakistani
airspace, and thankfully there was no engagement with
Pakistani forces," Brennan said.
US officials said in addition to bin Laden, one of his
sons Khalid was killed in the raid while his wife got a shot
in the calf, but survived.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui