US Seals were told to avoid engaging Pak forces
Washington: The `Abbottabad operation`
against Osama bin Laden was planned till the last minute detail by the US intelligence and the American naval Seals had
been told to avoid chances of any engagement with Pakistani
And top White House officials heaved a huge sigh of
relief when the four US military helicopters were out of
Pakistan air space just in the nick of time as clueless
authorities in Islamabad were scrambling fighters to intercept
"The Operation was designed to minimise the chances of
engagement with Pakistani forces," John Brennan, President
Barack Obama`s Advisor on Counter-terrorism said.
"It was done very well," he said, adding that no
Pakistani forces were engaged and there were no other
individuals who were killed except those inside the compound.
Brennan`s remarks came as other top US officials said
that latest intelligence reports indicated that the al Qaeda
chief had been living in the Abbottabad mansion for over six
He said Pakistani were only contacted after "all our
people and aircraft were out of Pakistan airspace".
The US official said that at that time Pakistani`s had
begun reacting to the incidents that were taking place in
Abbottabad. "Therefore, they were scrambling some of their
"Clearly, we were concerned that if the Pakistanis
decided to scramble jets or whatever else -- they didn`t know
who was on those jets. They had no idea about who might have
been on there, whether it be US or somebody else," he said in
response to a question.
"So we were watching and making sure that our people
and our aircraft were able to get out of the Pakistani
airspace, and thankfully there was no engagement with
Pakistani forces," Brennan said.
US officials said in addition to bin Laden, one of his
sons Khalid was killed in the raid while his wife got a shot
in the calf, but survived.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference