US should endorse India`s UNSC candidacy: McCain
Washington: The United States should fully
back India`s pursuit of permanent membership of the powerful
UN Security Council, John McCain, the top Republican leader
said, days after President Barack Obama described the issue as
"very difficult and complicated".
"If we want India to join us in sharing the
responsibilities for international peace and security, then
the world`s largest democracy needs to have a seat at the high
table of international politics," Senator McCain said at the
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
"The United States should fully back India`s pursuit
of permanent membership on the UN Security Council," he
underlined yesterday at the Washington-based think-tank.
Ahead of his visit, President Barack Obama had said that the issue of India`s permanent membership of the UN
Security Council was "very difficult and complicated".
Without committing himself to a firmer support for
India`s bid for permanent seat in UNSC, Obama said, "I do also
expect to discuss India`s role as an actor on the global stage
during my visit."
McCain`s endorsement for India`s bid for the UN
Security Council gain significance given the bipartisan nature
of support on Indo-US relationship between and the emergence
of Republican Party as a strong force after the November 2
mid-term polls, in which it gained majority in the US House of
"India must be represented in the foundational
institutions of the global order. The United States should
push for India`s inclusion in the International Energy Agency,
the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum, and those parts
of the global non-proliferation regime from which India is
still excluded," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands