U.S. sprinter Rodgers fails drug test
Raleigh: Former U.S. 100 metres champion Mike Rodgers has tested positive for a banned stimulant, putting his world championship hopes in jeopardy, his agent said on Saturday.
"Mike made a mistake," Tony Campbell said. "He went to a club with some friends in Italy and he thought he was drinking a Red Bull (energy drink) but he got one of those energy drinks that had a stimulant in it."
Rodgers, the year`s fourth fastest 100 metres runner, said on his Twitter account he had failed a test.
"Tested positive for stimulant in an energy drink," he tweeted.
"I`m just trying to get a hearing before worlds so I can know my fate," said Rodgers, who was named in the U.S. team in the 100 metres and 4x100 relay.
He finished third in the 100m at the U.S. world championship trials in June.
Penalties for a positive test for stimulants can range from a warning to a suspension of several months.
Campbell said Rodgers, 26, had not been suspended by USA Track and Field (USATF) as of Saturday.
USATF officials could not be reached for immediate comment on Rodgers`s status for the world championships which begin on Aug. 27 in Daegu, South Korea.
Rodgers was yet to have his second "B" sample tested, Campbell said, adding that he understood the result would not come until two days after USATF finalised its world championship team on Monday.
"It is a bad situation for us now," Campbell said, referring to the timing of the failed test.
"I would surmise (USATF) are going to leave Mike in there (on the team) until the final verdict is in," he said.
"I don`t want anyone to think Mike is a druggie. It was a stimulant. It was not steroids or anything of that nature."
Campbell said Rodgers`s positive test had come last month at a meeting in Lignano, Italy, where the U.S. team had a relay training camp.
He said Rodgers had passed all previous tests including a blood test several days ago.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs