US stocks dip on recovery concerns
New York: US stocks dipped as investors mulled a mixed batch of economic data that cast a cloud over hopes for an improved recovery from recession and braced for a key jobs report.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 86.91 points (0.83 percent) to 10,365.77 at the market close. The Nasdaq composite slid 12.01 points (0.55 percent) to 2,173.02 and the broad-market Standard and Poor`s 500 index dropped 9.23 points (0.83 percent) to a preliminary 1,100.01.
The market had spent much of the session nearly unchanged "as traders grapple with a plethora of data, which is injecting some uncertainty into the economic recovery argument," said Charles Schwab & Co analysts in a note to investors.
The action came a day ahead of the government`s November labour report, expected to show the unemployment rate held steady at 10.2 percent and the economy shed 125,000 non-farm jobs, down from 190,000 in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail