US stocks drop amid mixed earnings
New York: US stocks fell Tuesday amid a rash of company earnings reports and government figures that pointed to a still-struggling housing market.
Earnings were mixed at some of the country`s biggest firms. Shares of computer giant Apple and industrial firm Caterpillar gained on better than expected profits for the third quarter. Coca-Cola and Dupont`s stock prices fell on disappointing revenue.
More than 100 companies were set to report their third-quarter earnings this week.
The commerce department reported that the rate of new home construction climbed just 0.5 percent in September, which was lower than the pace in August. Home-improvement retailer Home Depot and other housing-related companies lost shares.
The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 50.71 points, or 0.5 percent, to close at 10,041.48. The broader Standard and Poor`s 500 Index fell 6.85 points, or 0.62 percent, to 1,091.06. The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index declined 12.85 points, or 0.59 percent, to 2,163.47.
The US currency was virtually unchanged against the euro at 66.94 euro cents, compared to 66.92 euro cents Monday. The dollar edged up against the Japanese currency to 90.73 yen from 90.64 yen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India