US swimmer Phelps returns to the pool
Annapolis: US swim star Michael Phelps won 200-yard freestyle and 100-yard butterfly titles on Friday at the North Baltimore Aquatic Club’s holiday meet at the US Naval Academy.
The Beijing Olympic hero who captured an unprecedented eight gold medals last year, took the 200 free in 1min 33.14secs, winning by more than six seconds, and captured the 100 fly in 47.28 seconds.
Phelps had not been in a competitive meet since swimming last month at Berlin and Stockholm in World Cup races without the high-tech suits that will be banned from global meets starting in January.
It was the first time since 2004 that Phelps took part in his club’s annual meet. He plans to swim two more races on both Saturday and Sunday.
Phelps is working toward the 2012 London Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube