US to hunt Boston bombers to `ends of the Earth`
Boston: US investigators vowed to "go to the ends of the Earth" as they widened their search for those responsible for two bombs which sprayed nails and metal pellets into Boston marathon crowds, killing three people and injuring more than 180.
But with no claim of responsibility made and police not committing to blaming foreign or domestic militants, Boston harboured widespread questions about the perpetrators as the city and the nation paid tribute to the dead.
US President Barack Obama condemned Monday`s attack at the marathon finish line as "an act of terror." He will attend a special service for the victims in Boston on Thursday.
US authorities threw virtually every investigation agency into the hunt with more than 1,000 officers working in Boston alone, said Rick DesLauriers, head of the FBI`s Boston office.
"This will be a worldwide investigation," DesLauriers told reporters. "We will go to the ends of the Earth to identify the subject or subjects responsible for this despicable crime," he added.
DesLauriers said fragments of suspected pressure cookers used to pack the bomb had been found and were being put together by experts. He added that metal pellets and nails had also been recovered.
Similar easy-to-make devices are used as roadside bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Shreds of black nylon bags believed to have been used to carry the bombs were also found, the agent said, adding that "the range of suspects and motives remains wide open."
Doctors, who carried out at least 13 amputations, some at the scene, gave details of the bomb impact.
"These bombs contained small metallic fragments more consistent with pellets and other small pieces of metal, but also spiked points that resembled nails without heads," said George Velmahos, head of emergency medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Roger Walls at Brigham and Women`s Hospital said a dozen carpentry nails were taken from the body of one victim.
The two bombs, which exploded 13 seconds and about 100 meters (yards) apart, sprayed the shrapnel into the crowd of thousands of people lining Boylston Street to watch the runners cross the finish line.
Three people were killed and at least 180 injured, according to the latest toll. Some 17 people were in critical condition. The dead and injured were aged between two and 71 and included nine children.
Among the dead was eight-year-old Martin Richard, who had been waiting at the finish for his father to cross the line. His mother suffered a grievous brain injury and his sister lost a leg.
A Chinese national also died, China`s Xinhua news agency reported. The woman was believed to be a graduate student at Boston University but her name was not given.
The third fatality was named as Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old restaurant manager from Massachusetts.
A candle-lit vigil for Richard drew 1,000 people to a park near the family home in the Boston suburb of Dorchester. Hundreds attended another vigil in central Boston and a church service near the scene of the bomb blasts.
Most of the 23,000 runners in the 26.2-mile (42-kilometer) race had finished when the bombs went off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Know why sex loses its steam in couples
- Smartphone may reveal your sexual preferences