US to remove Indian entities from banned list, support India at NSG
New Delhi: As President Barack Obama completed his first day on the three day tour to India, some major demands on India’s wish-list were reported to have been delivered by the American side including “status to India as a close ally as far as dual use technology goes along with removal of Indian organisation like the ISRO and DRDO form the Entities List.”
Sources in the White House and in the delegation travelling with Obama have revealed that the tough export control rules which are harmful to Indian business and defence sectors are going to be liberalised.
The US will update the dual-use technology rules. These rules have prevented the transfer of sophisticated technology to Indian companies and the defence sector.
President Obama announced in Mumbai that his country was reforming the
export control system.
"My Commerce Secretary Garry Locke will be leading
another trade mission to India in the next few months. And we
are reforming our export control system.
"So, even as we strengthen our national security, we make
sure that unnecessary barriers do not stand in the way of
hi-tech trade between our two countries," he said.
The President said the US will work with India to
fundamentally reform its control on exports, which will allow
greater cooperation in a range of hi-tech areas.
Added to that, the US will support India’s membership in the four multilateral export control
regimes which will make it easier for India to get dual-use
technology from member countries though it is subject to rules
of individual nations.
"These are the NSG-- what is called Missile Technology
Control Regime (MTCR)-- the Missile Technology Control Regime,
the Australian Group and the Wassanaar Arrangement," Mike
Froman, Deputy National Security Advisor for International
Economic Affairs, said in a statement.
It will also provide India with a say in framing
export control rules.
The above have been high on the list of India’s expectations.
These are groups of multilateral, dual use export
control clubs. The Australia Group deals with chemical and
biological weapons, and Wassenaar deals with conventional
weapons and dual use technology in it.
"Now, this membership will come in a phased manner.
And we will consult with our regime members to encourage the
evolution of a membership criteria of these regimes consistent
with maintaining their core principles.
"So as the membership criteria of these four regimes
evolves, we intend to support India`s full membership in them.
And at the same time, India will take steps to fully adopt the
regime`s export control requirements to reflect its
prospective membership," Forman goes on to say recognising,
"the nature of the strategic relationship we now have with
Three Indian entities -- Defence Research and
Development Organisation (DRDO), Indian Space Research (ISR0)
and the Hyderabad-headquartered Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL)
-- will be taken off embargoed list.
"The second element of the export control reform
package being announced is that we will remove India`s defense
and space-related entities from the US entity list. The
entity list at one point had, I believe, 220 Indian entities
on it. And there are only four left.
And today we will be
announcing a removal of three of them," the US statement said.
"And now removing these entities from the entity list
will aloow for greater trade and cooperation in civilian space
and defence, and enable our governments to focus on other
outstanding barriers that hinder expanded bilateral high-tech
trade. And this a very significant step forward," the
During the roundtable, Obama was accompanied by US
Commerce Secretary Gary Locke and other top officials as also
corporate leaders who are part of his entourage.
The deliberations covered areas like electric cars, clean
transport, solar power, drinking water and recent discoveries
in the pharmaceutical sector.
The discussions, which focused on growing trade and
investment, were attended by Anand Mahindra, vice chairman and
managing director of Mahindra and Mahindra Group, Ajay Piramal
of leading pharma group Pirmal and other business leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'