Usain Bolt withdraws from New York meet
New York: Jamaican super sprinter Usain Bolt has withdrawn from the June 12 Diamond League meeting in New York City because of an Achilles tendon issue, organizers said.
Organizers of the meeting said they were notified by Bolt`s management team that the world and Olympic triple gold medallist has inflammation in the affected tendon and has been advised to rest.
Bolt, the world record-holder in the 100m and 200m, launched his IAAF Diamond League campaign in Shanghai on May 23 by winning the 200m comfortably in 19.76sec.
On May 27 at a meeting in Ostrava he came close to breaking Michael Johnson`s world record in the rarely run 300m.
"I developed a stiffness in my Achilles tendon last week and sought medical attention," Bolt said in a statement released through the New York meet organizers. "After careful consultation with Dr. Hans Muller-Wohlfahrt at his clinic in Munich, I have been advised to take a 2-3 week break as a precautionary measure to avoid risking further damage."
Bolt had been expected to face American Tyson Gay in a 100m showdown at the meeting.
"I am well aware of the disappointment for the fans in New York and around the world, but I hope to return to New York as soon as possible," Bolt said.
The meeting, the fifth in the 14-event elite Diamond League series, is held at Icahn Stadium on Randall`s Island, where Bolt first broke the 100m record in May of 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves