Using kitchen spoons to take medicine dangerous
New York: In an answer to why one should
steer clear of using ordinary spoons when taking liquid
medicines, a new research suggests that such careless
practice raises the risk of potentially dangerous drug
According to the study carried out by researchers at
Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, many people often
ignore doctors` advice and grab a kitchen spoon to serve up
their liquid medicine, making themselves prone to the risks of
For their study, the researchers asked some cold and flu
sufferers to pour one teaspoon of nighttime flu medicine into
kitchen spoons of differing sizes.
Depending upon the size of the spoon, the 195 former
patients poured an average of eight per cent too little or 12
per cent too much medicine.
"When pouring into a medium-size tablespoon, participants
under-dosed. But when using a larger spoon, they poured too
much medicine," said Dr Brian Wansink, Director of the
Cornell Food and Brand Lab, who led the study.
"Twelve per cent more may not sound like a lot, but this
goes on every four to eight hours, for up to four days,"
"So it really adds up?to the point of ineffectiveness or
"Simply put, we cannot always trust our ability to
estimate amounts," said the study`s co-author, Dr. Koert van
Ittersum, Assistant Professor of Marketing at Georgia Tech.
"In some cases it may not be important, but when it comes
to the health of you or your child, it is vital to make an
Wansink and van Ittersum recommend using a proper
device a measuring cap or dropper, or dosing spoon or
syringe to measure liquid medicine.
The findings are published as a letter in the Jan 5 issue
of the Annals of Internal Medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!