Valencia slam extra officials after Europa exit
London: Valencia questioned the logic of having extra match officials in the Europa League after being denied a late penalty in their quarter-final second leg away to Atletico Madrid.
With four minutes remaining at the Calderon on Thursday, Valencia substitute Nikola Zigic was left with a torn shirt after being pulled back by Atletico defender Juanito as he went for a header at goal.
The Serbian striker`s team mates surrounded German referee Florian Meyer to protest but were waved away, and their coach Unai Emery was sent to the stands to watch the rest of the 0-0 draw, which saw Valencia go out on away goals.
"You have all seen it, the television doesn`t lie. When you decide to have extra officials it is so this type of incident doesn`t happen," Emery was quoted as saying in Spanish media on Friday.
UEFA is experimenting with five-man teams of officials in this season`s Europa League matches, two additional assistants being positioned beside each goal to help the referee judge incidents inside the area.
"We believe the referee didn`t have the strength of character (to give the decision), neither did his assistants," Emery added. "When they see the incident they will be ashamed."
Valencia goalkeeper Cesar unsurprisingly backed his coach.
"I can`t believe they didn`t see it," he was quoted as saying.
"To blow for a penalty in the 86th minute for the visiting team in the return leg of a knockout competition, you need to have great strength of character.”
"Next year, I won`t bring my watch in case they steal that as well."
Atletico, who went through courtesy of the goals they scored in the 2-2 draw at the Mestalla, will meet Liverpool in the semi-finals in two weeks time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'