Valencia slam extra officials after Europa exit
London: Valencia questioned the logic of having extra match officials in the Europa League after being denied a late penalty in their quarter-final second leg away to Atletico Madrid.
With four minutes remaining at the Calderon on Thursday, Valencia substitute Nikola Zigic was left with a torn shirt after being pulled back by Atletico defender Juanito as he went for a header at goal.
The Serbian striker`s team mates surrounded German referee Florian Meyer to protest but were waved away, and their coach Unai Emery was sent to the stands to watch the rest of the 0-0 draw, which saw Valencia go out on away goals.
"You have all seen it, the television doesn`t lie. When you decide to have extra officials it is so this type of incident doesn`t happen," Emery was quoted as saying in Spanish media on Friday.
UEFA is experimenting with five-man teams of officials in this season`s Europa League matches, two additional assistants being positioned beside each goal to help the referee judge incidents inside the area.
"We believe the referee didn`t have the strength of character (to give the decision), neither did his assistants," Emery added. "When they see the incident they will be ashamed."
Valencia goalkeeper Cesar unsurprisingly backed his coach.
"I can`t believe they didn`t see it," he was quoted as saying.
"To blow for a penalty in the 86th minute for the visiting team in the return leg of a knockout competition, you need to have great strength of character.”
"Next year, I won`t bring my watch in case they steal that as well."
Atletico, who went through courtesy of the goals they scored in the 2-2 draw at the Mestalla, will meet Liverpool in the semi-finals in two weeks time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?